In 1847, three Sisters of Charity arrived in Hobart at the invitation of Bishop Robert Willson. Construction of the St Joseph’s School was commenced by Fr Therry years earlier and officially opened on 23 August 1847, with separate boys and girls school, and was staffed by lay teachers. The Sisters provided religious instruction to the girls of St Joseph’s School, located at the rear of St Joseph’s Church on the corner of Macquarie and Harrington Street. The Sisters exercised general supervision of the Girls School, before taking control of it at the beginning of 1848.