In May 1849, the first Catholic school is founded in the Ballarat Diocese, All Saints Parish School in Portland. The school was opened by Rev Michael Stevens PP and it was the second Catholic school to be opened in the Colony (the District of Port Philip, as the Victorian Colony was known). At that time, the District of Port Philip was part of the Archdiocese of Sydney, with the Diocese of Ballarat being established in 1874. St Patrick’s Parish Primary School, Port Fairy was the second Catholic school to be established in what is now the Diocese of Ballarat, only a few months later in July 1849.