In 1890,  seven sisters of Our Lady of Sion arrive in Sale, Victoria at the invitation of Bishop James Corbett. They began a girls’ Secondary Boarding and Day School soon after their arrival and they were also invited to take responsibility for the existing Primary School. Eight years later, four Sisters of Our Lady of Sion make a foundation in Bairnsdale Victoria, and began St. Mary’s Secondary College and became responsible for the existing Primary School.